The Regional Heritage Museum

 

Šumperk Museum is the biggest Regional Heritage museum facility in Šumperk. This is due to the extent of both the collection itself and the show rooms. The residence of the company head office, social and natural science workplaces, an editorship of Severní Morava magazine and an information office are also to be found here. The museum utilizes more than half of the premises of Pavlina´s Court (Pavlinin Dvůr) in Šumperk, which is a facility in the centre of the city. Because the facilities are not suitable to be used as a blacksmith´s, cabinetmaker´s, builder´s and taxidermist´s workshops, these are based indetached workplaces in the former “robotárnain the street, 'Lidická'. The Museum in Šumperk was established as a private organisation in 1892 and after setting up a museum society in 1910 it was considered to be a German museum. It had its first exhibition spaces in a former Dominican monastery. After 1921 it was moved to the so-named 'Geschader House' in Kladenská Street. In 1945 the German museum was handed over to Czech management. New premises in Pavlina´s Court (Pavlinin Dvůr) were assigned to the museum at the beginning of the 50's. Pavlina´s Court (Pavlinin Dvůr) was originally a suburban agricultural farm owned by Franz Tersch and from the beginning of 19th century was used for cattle breeding and production and distribution of milk. It was a large, square area surrounded by rows of barns with at least two large cowsheds. It had vaulted arches between the rows. It had a dairy and accommodation for the staff. In the 1830's, Tersch´s son added a classical residential mansion to Pavlina´s Court (Pavlinin Dvůr). In the 1830's the house was rebuilt by the architect, M. Hintrager. It then became a new-renaissance palace for the Baron Chiari. It was enlarged in the 20th century. At the same time the agricultural houses were reconstructed and new spacious barns with cast-iron columns and arches between the girders were built. A park was sited around the yard with a vegetable garden nearby. The dairy was modernized and a milk shop was established in 1920's. In 1945 the town of Šumperk took over ownership of the premises. There was a town building yard, a scrub-yard, garages and evenyually a museum was established. In the 1960's and 70's, all the buildings of Pavlina´s Court (Pavlinin Dvur) including their garrets were reconstructed for the needs of the cultural organizations based in Sumperk. Pavlina ´s Court (Pavlinin Dvur) was designated as a cultural monument. Due to the reconstruction the museum obtained a good-quality exhibition and concert hall, representative premises for a permanent exhibtion, a display cabinet, a number of offices for special and administrative workers, an arranging room, a workroom for the conservation and preparation staff and also operational premises for crafts. In the early 1980's the south wing of the court was substituted for a new building designed to meet the needs of Šumperk's Cultural Centre. The improvements to the quality of the interior equipment, reconstruction of the roofs and engineering network were in progress for the whole of the 90's. From 2005 to 2006 the facade of the north wing of the court was reconstructed and the Town Gallery, a new information centre and a lecture hall were built in a part of a former stable. A large yard, which is to be used from time to time for cultural and social events, will be reconstructed in the next few years and will offer a number of other possibilities for the cultural activities of the town's citizens. A reconstruction of museum buildings in the “robotárna” has now also been completed.